背景介绍:女主角Wendy,迫于自己老公Chunk与老板Bob的对擂,有意辞职。正巧有老熟人是基金公司合伙人,向她抛出了橄榄枝,于是Wendy便顺水推舟,到该公司参观,以作初步了解。两个事业型的中年女人开始畅聊工作状态、商务环境以及职场人生。
本剪辑出自美剧《亿万》第一季第十一集,一段关于投资总监与绩效教练的对话场景,非常适合用作商务英语学习素材。以下为BEC备考网编辑整理的中英对照剧本,请重点关注我用蓝色高亮的各种重点词汇。
Woman:Wendy. 温蒂
——— Oh, I am so glad you’re thinking about us. 真高兴你在考虑我们这里
——— Hey, Roma wants to give you the tour herself. 洛马想亲自带你转转
Wendy:How are you? 你好吗
Woman:Work is a happy place now. 现在工作让我开心
——— Come on. I’ll introduce you. 过来 我给你介绍一下
Wendy:Great space. 地方不错
Woman:I have an eye for it. Even better one for talent. 我很有眼光 尤其能慧眼识珠
Wendy:I knew that as soon as you snagged Maria. 你把玛丽亚挖来的时候我就知道了
Woman:She’s a perfect fit. 她非常合适
——— We value fit, culture, more than most. 比起其他 我们更注重知人善任和公司文化
——— That’s why 60% or so of our PMs are women. 所以我们大约60%的基金经理都是女性
——— Makes it easier to practice socially responsible investing. 更易于进行对社会负责的投资
Wendy:Is that the mission? 那就是任务吗
Woman:The mission is profit. 赚钱才是任务
——— But me and a few of the senior partners, 但当华尔街全是些
——— we came up at a time 没种没脑的男人当道时
——— when Wall Street was all cock and balls and no brains. 我和几个资深合伙人挺身而出
——— We try to practice with a little less ego around here 我们想让这里少一些自我主义
——— in a more collaborative, inclusive environment. 营造更有协作意识 更包容的环境
——— But it’s a delicate balance. 但这平衡很微妙
Wendy:You don’t want a bunch of guys running around 你不想让这里满是
——— with sawed-off shotguns, 火药味
——— but you don’t want scented candles 但也不想这里太过安逸
——— and an aversion to risk either. 没人愿意冒险
Woman:That’s for fucking sure. 说得太对了
——— We need someone to curate that balance, 我们需要有人来维持平衡
——— someone who’s been through the wars, 找一个身经百战的人
——— who’s seen the other side. 见多识广的人
Wendy:You want me to make your people assassins. 你想我把你的人训练成刺客吗
Woman:We want them to be able to access that mentality when needed, 我们想让他们在需要时能有那种心态
——— with great accuracy. 不得有半分偏差
Wendy:Yeah. Assassins. It’s kind of my specialty. 对 刺客 算是我的专长
Woman:I know. 我知道
——— No other performance coach in the industry would be a better fit. 你是业内最合适的绩效教练
——— And you’re already an investor. 而你已经是投资者了
——— We need you, 我们需要你
——— and you wanna be here. 而你也想待在这里
Wendy:I’m curious. Why do you think you know what I want? 我很好奇 你怎么知道我想要什么
——— I mean, it’s a hard thing to know even about oneself. 这对我自己来说都是个难题
Woman:I’m a stock picker and an instinct trader. 我是拣股者 也是直觉很准的商人
——— Am I wrong? 我没说错吧
——— Look. 听着
——— We believe there’s a better way. 我们相信有更好的方法
——— Life doesn’t have to be a zero-sum game. 生活不必过得像零和博弈
——— Go. Think. 走吧 考虑好
——— Let me know. 决定了告诉我
未经允许不得转载:商务英语学习网站-BEC备考网 » 看美剧《亿万》学商务英语:谈职场人生